Family and Divorce Mediation in Washington DC Metro
A peaceful, healthy divorce is a choice. Choose Eileen Coen for experienced family and divorce mediation in Washington DC and the Metro area.
Studies show that how you do your divorce has more influence on your emotional and financial well-being than any other single factor. Choose Eileen Coen for your family or divorce mediation in Washington DC.
Divorce does not have to be a destructive legal battle. It’s well known that divorce litigation almost always escalates conflict and causes emotional and financial fallout for everyone involved. At the end of a long and harrowing process, a judge makes the decisions that will have a lasting impact on your family.
You can avoid the harmful adversarial legal process and control the outcome with the help of an experienced mediator. By working with a mediator with expertise in family law and divorce finances, you and your spouse will have a neutral guide to help you clarify the issues, generate multiple options for resolution, and develop mutually acceptable terms for your divorce. Unlike divorce litigation, in mediation, you maintain control of the outcome by crafting your own divorce in a way that works for your family.
Why Eileen Coen Mediation, LLC?
If you are looking for practical guidance to help you navigate the road ahead, I can help.
Eileen Coen is a Washington DC Mediator with extensive experience helping couples navigate marital separation and divorce without resorting to the adversarial legal process. With over 25 years of helping people build consensus and create agreements that work, Eileen brings the skills and tools of a professional mediator, attorney, life coach, educator, and parent to the resolution process. You can expect your skilled mediator to provide the compassion, structure, and strategies it takes to make well-informed decisions and stay in control of what happens in your separation or divorce.
Washington D.C. Divorce Mediation can be used to resolve any or all of the issues related to your separation or divorce, including:
- Planning and logistics for your physical separation
- Child Custody
- Parenting Plans
- Child Support
- Alimony/Spousal Support
- Property Division
- Pensions, 401k’s and IRA’s
- Health and Life Insurance
- Co-parent communication
- Parent Relocation
- Talking to your children about your divorce
What are the benefits of Divorce Mediation in Washington DC?
- Short Timeframe – Most couples complete the mediation process in a fraction of the time required by attorney-negotiated or litigated divorce.
- Reduced emotional stress – Working together in a collaborative process instead of against each other in an adversarial one minimizes the tension and stress that can prolong divorce and delay the healing process.
- Reduced financial strain – Working together with one professional instead of against each other with separate attorneys in an adversarial process minimizes your financial investment in your divorce. On average, the cost of mediation is at least half the cost of lawyer negotiated divorce in the DC Metro area and a small fraction of the cost of a litigated divorce which can devour your savings or create burdensome debt.
- More control over the outcome – You and your spouse are empowered to make the important decisions that will impact your family, instead of a judge who isn’t familiar with the specific needs of your family.
- Creative solutions that work – Judges are limited in the remedies they can order by law. But you can tailor creative solutions that work better for your family.
- Child-centered – Mediation facilitates a more child-focused parenting plan to help you and your children adjust to life after the divorce.
- Cooperative co-parenting — Parenting arrangements made by agreement (rather than imposed by court order) reduce friction between parents and allow you to cultivate a cooperative co-parenting relationship that supports your children to thrive.
- Protects important family relationships – Parents who resolve their divorce through mediation are shown to maintain more meaningful long-term relationships with their children than parents who litigate.
- Confidential – When you create a marital settlement agreement in mediation instead of in court, your private information will not be available on the public record.
- Sustainable Agreement – Studies show that spouses are more likely to adhere to mutually acceptable agreements created themselves than to terms imposed by court order.
Is divorce mediation right for us?
Keep in mind that you and your spouse don’t have to agree on everything at the beginning of the process. The only thing you need to agree on is that you will work together to resolve your differences until you reach a mutually acceptable agreement.
Mediation is ideal for people who are:
- Motivated to make well-informed financial and parenting arrangements that work for everyone involved, and to establish a mutually acceptable, legally binding separation agreement.
- Ready to look for solutions for the future instead of dwelling on blame for transgressions in the past.
- Seeking professional guidance and support in a respectful environment.
- Looking for the best opportunity to learn, heal and grow from your experience.
If you are looking for a professional guide to help you achieve an equitable and amicable divorce, contact Eileen Coen, your family, and divorce mediator in Washington D.C.